I’ve been choosing a focus word for the New Year for about the last two years and I can honestly say that it has served me well. Choosing a focus word helped me throughout the year in my decision making, in my thought process, and even in relationship with God. How so?
Last year, I felt led to focus on two words instead of just one: Consistency and Tunnel Vision. I chose two words because I couldn’t just pick one (you could read more about that here). It was hard to keep up with those words part of the year but I can say they really did help me improve certain areas of my life. I began to be a lot more consistent in my personal life (I hoped to be more consistent with my blog, but I didn’t quite make it) when it came to routines and such. As for tunnel vision, let’s just say that I did keep my eye on Jesus despite how bumpy the year was. Could I have done more? Of course. And I believe that’s why God gave me the word he did for 2021.
R O O T E D.
The Oak Tree
- Strong and thicker exterior/trunk
- Made out of a harder and heavier material
- Roots grow in all directions sometimes causing damages to surrounding things
- Roots can resurface
- Can easily break in the middle of strong winds
- Does not adapt in difference seasons (leaves fall off in winter)
The Palm Tree
- Thinner and what seems to be a less stronger exterior/trunk
- Made out of a softer material that allows flexibility
- Roots grow deep downwards and do not go further than the palm itself
- Roots do not resurface – they continue growing downward looking for water source and a rock to hug onto
- Does not break in the middle of strong winds – she will bend, but won’t break
- Adapts to different seasons and and continues to produce
Removing all distractions
Why you need a focus word for 2021!
Proverbs 16:9 “We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps.”
Have you already chosen your theme word/scripture for 2021? Don’t leave without sharing it with me in the comments!
Ps: Thought you’d might like a new journal for the new year. Check out these faith based journals. I think they’d be perfect for you!